Guides and Diaries of all things Audio, MIDI and Electronics

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Midi Controller - Let's Begin!

In the last few weeks, i have been researching custom DIY MIDI controller-ism. 

In short i want to build my own midi controller....

i will cut to the chase here... I first found a video by Ean Golden, showcasing how to build a relativly 'cheap' Midi controller with a few buttons, knobs and LED's using a basic USB HID (human interface device) brain.

The main problem i had with this was that it was not 'class compliant' meaning, i had to get other software to turn the HID signals to MIDI info. HID is basically for joysticks, buttons knobs anything really for controlling video games or robotics or even cranes and large construction equipment. Although the though of a custom gaming chair intrigued me!

After a few endless nights of obsessing over my idea of a midi controller, i found a new brain.

Class compliant USB powered, Midi i/o, i thought i was dreaming.... wait no, i was just really tired.

I found the Livid builder series of products. This was fantastic, a new product for 2010 and REALLY easy to use, i ordered one instantly for $189 USD and it should be here within 2 weeks. for more info that i would just ramble and confuse you with can be found here: http://lividshop.com/builder/builder-brain.html

I also liked the idea of Arcade buttons, great for sampling and triggering!

I can't wait to get started on this project, and i will keep you all informed and teach what i learn along the way!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. WOuld love to get some feedback from you on where I could start to find information relating to making a midi controller. Essentially I want to take an array of fsr sensors and have them trigger midi that in turn controls a roland keyboard. Each array will measure roughly 24 inches x 18 inches and be activated by a person moving a stylus across the surface, turning the act of writing into sound. Any hints as to where I can start to look? I am a newbie, and was looking at adafruits midisense only to find out that it is now discontinued. My biggest questions relate to how the variable voltage is translated to the midi controller.michael.casselli@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete